The unique cultural identity is a reason making Vietnam become one of the most attractive destinations in the world. From North to South, festivals – an inevitable part of a rich culture are usually organized as a way to keep and foster traditional values of the country. Let’s have a look at 7 spring festivals in Vietnam below to have an insight into the culture of this nation.
1. Huong Pagoda Festival (Hanoi City)Beginning on 6th January and ending in March (lunar calendar), Huong Pagoda Festival in Hanoi is the longest festival with the number of participants up to over 1.5 people in some years.
|The pilgrimage journey on Yen River in Huong Pagoda Festival|
2. Tran Temple Festival (Nam Dinh Province)Taking place in Tran Temple (Nam Dinh Province), it is one of the biggest spring festivals in Vietnam. Normally, it is held from 11th to 16th January (lunar calendar) to celebrate Tran Dynasty – the famous dynasty in Vietnam history with glorious victories in resistance against invaders.
|Thousands of people are waiting the seal opening ceremony in Tran Temple Festival|
3. Vieng Market Festival (Nam Dinh Province)Vieng Market takes place at midnight of 7th January (lunar calendar), but tourists from all places often gather here right from that afternoon. They come here to join Phu Giay Festival which worships Lieu Hanh Goddess – one of immortal gods of Vietnam.
|Buying some beef in Vieng Market Festival is considered to bring people luck|
4. Lim Festival (Bac Ninh Province)Originated from a famous legend, Lim Festival is one of the most important spring festivals in Vietnam. This is a big festival of Bac Ninh Province with many activities related to culture, art and spirituality.
|Folk music contest - a popular activity in Lim Festival|
5. Yen Tu Festival (Quang Ninh Province)This festival is held in Yen Tu - the historical site and famous landscape in Vietnam from 10th January to March (lunar calendar). Mt Yen Tu with the height of over 1000m is regarded the ancestral land of Buddhism in this nation.
|Dong Pagoda on Mt Yen Tu is crowded with people during the festival|
6. Ba Den Mountain Festival (Tay Ninh Province)Starting on 4th January (lunar calendar), Ba Den Mountain Festival is one of the biggest spring festivals in northern Vietnam.
|Linh Son Tien Thach Temple - the place Ba Den Mountain Festival is held|
7. Dong Da Mound Festival (Hanoi city)Dong Da Mound is a well-known historical site where Quang Trung King led Vietnam people to defeat foreign invaders. Therefore, this festival is organized to memorize contributions of this great king – the hero in the national history.
|Dong Da Festival with unique activities|